Day #3 in the hospital, we got to go off continual feedings and try a specific amount over a certain amount of time. Emmalin did well with 2 different feedings of that and so they released her!! We were so happy and eager to get home. While Emmalin was in the hospital, Jarrad and I had a lot of training on the feeding tube pump and the feeding tube in general. I also have several amazing friends who unfortunately have children with feeding tubes already and so they were willing to help out any time I had questions (or whatever) once we got home.
Well, we just had our second day home and I have to say that we definitely have some changes to figure out in our normal "everyday routine". Emmalin is supposed to get fed 5 times, 3 hours a part. Each meal is supposed to equal 4 ounces of Pediasure. The problem is that before the feeding tube was placed, Emmalin would only drink 7-14 ounces of Pediasure for the entire day. So right now our biggest obstacle is that Emmalin's stomach isn't familiar with being full with as much or as often throughout a 24 hour period. So she tends to want to sleep a little while after getting fed. I can also tell that sometimes she isn't very comfortable after being fed that much (it's just a lot for her right now). We actually have to get Emmalin up to 4 cans of Enteral Pediasure a day (each can is 8 ounces fed through the tube – if she doesn't drink and/or eat through her mouth). Right now Emmalin is more around 3 cans a day. But if we can get her to drink 4 ounces of her regular Pediasure by mouth in a feeding, then she gets to skip getting tube fed! We always shoot for that, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Healing wise, Emmalin is doing great! She just started rolling over again on her tummy today. Emmalin's stomach seems to still be pretty sore, but that's to be expected. We will head back up to St. Louis in a couple of weeks to make sure everything is healing the way it is supposed to.
So like I said, our biggest "battle" right now is just getting Emmalin's stomach back to where it is supposed to be for her height. And unfortunately, I think it is going to take Emmalin a little longer to get there than what is typically expected. But the worst part is over and I figure Emmalin will get there in her own time J
God is Good!
No comments:
Post a Comment