Emmalin Age: 7.5

Emmalin Age: 7.5

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day #1 - Feeding Tube Surgery


Yesterday about 8:30am, Emmalin was taken into surgery for a feeding tube placement. She was in A LOT of pain all day (and that's to be expected), but by around 1:30pm, Emmalin was already starting to raise up her feet and cross her legs (lol) and move her arms around. She would do great until she tried to "twist" around and that's when she would really hurt. Emmalin has done AMAZING!!! She hasn't even been on morphine since right after she got out of surgery (Tylenol only). Also, last night Emmalin was able to start getting pedialyte through her feeding tube as a continuous feeding and has done great with it (these are probably not the "technical" terms for this, but I don't know what the "technical terms are yet)! It's only 5mL every hour, but it's a starting point.
The doctors and nurses told us that the first night can be really tough, so Jarrad and I were preparing for a long night. Emmalin fell sound asleep around 9:45pm and didn't wake up until around 5:15am (when she had a mild seizure). She actually is still sleeping on and off as I am typing this.
My sweet baby this morning, snoozing away :)
Everyone keeps telling us that Emmalin is doing great and that everything is going/looking great so far. We hope to keep that up today J I also have to say that Emmalin is blowing me away by her strength and courage through all of this and is by far stronger than what I could ever be!

I don't know what today will hold, but we are hoping for the best! We are also hoping to learn about all of the feeding tube equipment today. I'll try to post again soon to keep everyone posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment