Emmalin Age: 7.5

Emmalin Age: 7.5

Thursday, February 17, 2011

1ST ABM SESSION - Days #1 and #2


Ready for ABM (day #2) and look at that head control!!!
 On February 14th around 6:45pm, I got a call from Chad Estes saying that he had an opening for Emmalin to do ABM on February 16th, 17th, and 18th.  I talked it over with Jarrad and the next day, we were headed to St. Charles.  In this session of ABM we would be doing 2 separate hours of therapy a day for a total of 3 days.  Some of our friends (Kristi and Luke) were also going to be doing therapy with their son on the same days with Chad, so it was going to be nice to know someone up there!  Plus, my mom was able to go with me and Em because Jarrad wasn't able to get off work.  So between Kristi, Luke, and my mom, we were in good company!!  To be honest, I didn't know completely what to expect.  I think Kristi described it very well when she said:

"It's a very different sort of therapy. Chad (our therapist) is just moving Luke around on the table...manipulating him into different positions, etc. All very gentle.....lots of stretching, pulling, twisting...etc."

Emmalin and Chad



And that's exactly what he did with Emmalin.  He focused the first day on the lefts side (because it's weaker in general), and transitioning from laying down to sitting up.  By that night, as strange as it sounds, Emmalin was stronger in her legs and putting her hands down when she would lean to the side while sitting up (which she would rarely do before).  By the next morning, which was this morning, Emmalin's head control was WAY better and she seemed to be doing better at sitting up also.  I was and still am blown away by her progress that she has made!!  I honestly can't believe that she made so much progression and  in SO many areas!  IT'S AMAZING!!!

Today was the second day and of ABM and Emmalin tolerated it very well (just like yesterday).  She was really tired today after the second session.  Also like the first day, she had seizures before (and during today too) her second session.  This is normal for Emmalin right now (having seizures around that time of day right now).  But even after the seizures, when she was weak and tired (and even when she was sleeping), Chad was able to continue and Emmalin tolerated it very well because it is all so gentle!!  As for progress made today, Emmalin slept a lot after her 2nd therapy session, so I didn't get to see very much of Em moving around before it was time to go to bed.  I will have to wait and see tomorrow :)

My friend Kristi was the one that found this and I am so grateful that she did!  THANK YOU KRISTI!!!  This is something that we are going to be trying again next month (but I don't know when yet). 

I feel like I need to point out that there is no two people that will react to this therapy exactly the same way.  So everyone sees progress at different times and at different levels.  We are just so incredibly grateful for the progress that Em has made and pray that it will continue! 

God is So Good!

Oh... I will post some video of this once we get home and Jarrad can show me how to do it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment