As you all know, Emmalin regressed in every area while she was on the Ketogenic Diet. From July 3rd, 2010 on, Emmalin has been getting stronger in an area of development and/or doing something new everyday! It has been SO encouraging!!! I wake up every day excited to see what Emmalin is going to "reveal". Emmalin had gone from rocking on her hands and knees, to doing nothing but laying there. I am proud to tell you that she is now rocking again and moving all over the floor (by rolling)! She also has started vocalizing again. She blows raspberries ALL the time and makes a lot of different noises.
Emmalin even laughed a couple of weeks ago for the first time since March 15th, 2010 (the day we stared the Ketogenic Diet). I have to say that there is NOTHING in this world like hearing your baby laugh!
There are two areas that Emmalin seems to be moving the slowest in (put still progressing) are sitting up and gaining back all of her head control (again). For the past two days (thanks to a suggestion from her therapist), Emmalin has been making HUGE headway in these two departments.
We have a little seat called a Bumbo that you can put a baby in to help them learn to set up and to help strengthen their backs. I haven't put Emmalin in hers for months because she had lost so much body control. Now that she is starting to gain it back, I would try to put her in it. But all she would do is arch her head and back backwards and lean back as far as she could go, (instead of sitting up like she was supposed to be doing). I think part of the reason she would do this is because she didn't have any control, but the other part of it was just because she didn't want to sit up (plus she really likes leaning backwards right now). So when her therapist was here this past Saturday, she asked if we had a bumbo, I said yes, but explained why we haven't been using it. She suggested that we put a magazine in the back of the bumbo to keep her from leaning back as much. A magazine, why on earth didn't I think of that? Anyway, it has totally worked. Emmalin still figures out how to lean around it sometimes, but believe it or not, I saw some improvement in her head control by the end of yesterday. Yes, Emmalin still has a very long way to go in both of these areas, but she's moving forward and that's all I care about! Today when we put her in her bumbo, she could hold herself up for longer amounts of time. Even when she did lean over the the side, she could straighten herself back up (most of the time). Now, this may not seem like a big deal, but it was HUGE!!! I couldn't believe it! She has made SO much progress in these two area in just two days! It is SO amazing!! God is good! I can't wait to see what tomorrow will hold!
YAY Emmalin!!! How exciting! I love this post. Great work on the blog by the way. :)
ReplyDelete