Emmalin Age: 7.5

Emmalin Age: 7.5

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Day 3 of the Hospital Admission

So Monday was an interesting and exhausting day.  Emmalin acted like she didn't feel good all night (nausea wise) and her little tummy just kept rumbling.  We went for the upper GI.  She did great (as always)and we went back to the room.  She had not puked all day on Sunday by they had been giving her a nausea medicine to help with everything. But Yesterday (Monday - day 3), Emmalin needed up getting sick (from both ends) 2 different times.  But They were both after the upper GI and so I as grateful for that!! They also decided that they wanted an abdominal ultrasound done. So after getting her all cleaned up we headed down for that. The idea behind the ultra sound and the upper GI was to be looking for reasons she was doing the main underlined problem (the puking every time I would get her to full feeds and then her puking the day I helped her go to the bathroom).  

I guess I should back up and say that in addition to everything else they have also discovered that she has two different viruses going on, one is called metapneumovirus (hMPV- which is an upper repritory virus - a common cold- that Emmalin is showing no symptoms of oddly enough) and the second virus is the rotavirus ( which will cause vomiting and diarrhea).  The doctors think that the excessive puking and diarrhea that Emmalin has been having is caused by these two viruses (especially the rotavirus).  They said it should run its course in about 5 days or so.  But they do not think it is these viruses that are causing the underlining issue of her vomiting when she's back on full food only when I help her go to the bathroom (this issue has been going on since the middle of January and she has lost 6 pounds because of it).

Then in the abdominal ultrasound they discovered that there might be something wrong with her liver (which was VERY unexpected because all of her labs have come back just fine in that area).  They think that they saw 2 different things.  The first one was that they liver was bumpy (which is called fibrosis) and the second thing was that the saw air in the portal vein (which is called serosis).  Neither one of these things are good and so they are going to schedule an MRI for tomorrow to look at the liver to confirm that the ultrasound was right.  They will also be doing a bunch of different labs to check the liver function among other things. I forgot to mention that they also sent Emmalin down to have some X-rays done to make sure she didn't have any air in her abdomen (which is a really bad thing to have).  They found out that she didn't have air in there and so we were grateful for that news!!

Then in the evening Emmalin ended up puking 2 more times.  She didn't hold down any food yesterday (and it was just Pedialyte).    Things finally calmed down, and we got to go to sleep.  Her night was better than Sunday night and so I am incredibly grateful for that!!

All in all, it was a busy day with a very unexpected twist in it.  I'm exhausted!  But honestly, I know there are a lot of kids in this very hospital That are A LOT worse than Emmalin and so we are counting our blessings!! Tomorrow is a new day and we are hoping it will be better!! 


God is Good!

Oh and on a fun note, Emmalin had some ballons and candy delivered to her from our very dear friends Amy and Lexi today.  There is a gift shop here at children's called Small World Gift Shop and Amy ordered it from there.  Another fun thing that people can do for kids that are in the hospital here is send little email messages.  I don't know exactly what it's called, but I think that it's neat they have that option also!!


These are the balloons and candy Amy and Lexi sent Emmalin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment